Car hire in Stockholm
On this page you’ll get tips and advice on hiring a car in Stockholm, and the cheapest rental cars at guaranteed lowest price. If this is your first time renting a car in Sweden, please read our general tips on car hire in the country via the link below.
Renting a car in Stockholm
Car rental is possible at many different places in Stockholm. If you are arriving by air, you can rent a car both at Arlanda Airport and Bromma Airport. You’ll find the largest selection of rental cars at the airports.
Car rental offices in Stockholm
- Stockholm Central Station – As mentioned, there are a number of car rental firms in the area around Stockholm Central Station. All of them are within walking distance from the station and have a wide selection of rental cars. You can find the offices by Klarabergsviadukten and on Östra järnvägsgatan. Getting from these offices to other parts of Stockholm as well as its surrounding area is smooth and easy.
- South Stockholm – In the Södermalm district, which is in the southern parts of Stockholm, there are also plenty of car rental possibilities. You’ll find car rental offices on Ringvägen, Åsögatan and Tullgaardsgatan. The cosy district of Liljeholmen is just southwest of Södermalm, and is best visited by car. If you want to rent a car in Liljeholmen, you can do so on Årstaängsvägen. Further car rental possibilities in the south of Stockholm are in the Hammarby district. Hammarby is home to the famous Ericsson Globe and Tele2 Arena, and since its close to the motorway it’s a good starting point for different car trips. You can rent a car in Hammarby on Lugnets allé, Hammarby fabriksväg or by the Ericsson Globe.
- North Stockholm – There are also car rental offices in Östermalm, which is in the northeast part of Stockholm. Find the offices on either Lidingövägen or Östermalmstorg. If you want to take a trip to the island Lidingö, which is slightly east of Östermalm, you can also rent a car on Södra Kungsvägen. Additionally, car rental is available in Vasastan in the central parts of Östermalm. There are three offices: one on Odenplan Gyldengatan and two on Sveavägen.
- West Stockholm – Kungsholmen is the westernmost district of Stockholm, but it has good connections to the central parts of town as well as different places in Stockholm’s surrounding area. There is a car rental office on Strandbergsgatan in Kungsholmen.
- North of Stockholm – Solna is north of Stockholm town. Here you’ll find the newly built Mall of Scandinavia. Solna is a good starting point if you want to discover the area around Stockholm. There is a car rental office on Vallgatan.
Why rent a car in Stockholm?
Where to go around Stockholm
Mariefred is about an hour’s drive from central Stockholm. The town is home to the famous Gripsholm Castle, which belonged to King Gustav Vasa. There’s a lot to see at the castle, for example King Gustav III’s theatre and other exciting things. The central parts of Mariestad are also very beautiful, with many old wooden buildings and nice little shops and cafés.
The university town of Uppsala is a definite must if you are in the Stockholm area. The town is just over an hour’s drive north of Stockholm, and has beautiful architecture and greenery. Uppsala Cathedral, Uppsala Castle with its beautiful gardens, and the large university building Gustavianum are all worth visiting. If you have rented your car at Arlanda Airport, Uppsala is only half an hour away.
The Stockholm Archipelago is an exceptionally beautiful archipelago with many places worth visiting. The beautiful town of Vaxholm has become our favourite. It’s possible to drive all the way to Vaxholm, and the drive takes about 40 minutes from Stockholm. There are many nice attractions in Vaxholm, especially the Vaxholm Fortress is worth seeing. Just strolling around the city centre is also a wonderful experience.