Car hire in Gothenburg
On this page you’ll get tips and advice on hiring a car in Gothenburg, and the cheapest rental cars at guaranteed lowest price. If this is your first time renting a car in Sweden, read our general tips on car hire in the country via the link below.
Driving in Gothenburg
Car hire is available at several places throughout the city. If you are arriving by air, you can easily rent a car at Landvetter Airport. If you are arriving by train, car hire is also possible at Gothenburg Central Station. Many car rental firms also have pick up places at other places in Gothenburg, read more about this below.
Pay attention to trams when driving in central Gothenburg. Also be aware that there is a congestion charge for many of the roads around the city. The charge is relatively small. Since the charge cannot be paid directly on site, it is usually paid at the end of the rental period.
Our car rental offices in Gothenburg
- Gothenburg Central station – There are three car rental offices in the area around the central station. Two of them are in the Nils Ericson terminal, and the third one is on Kruthusgatan, just outside the station’s northern part. Getting from Gothenburg Central Station to other parts of the city by car is smooth and easy. It is also easy to get to the motorway if you want to explore the area surrounding Gothenburg.
- Central Gothenburg– If you are in the central parts of Gothenburg, it’s easiest to rent a car at the central station. However, in the area around Ullevi, east of the station, car hire is possible at Folkungagatan. Ullevi is very close to the train station, and getting from there to the motorway is easy and convenient. If you are in the southern parts of central Gothenburg, you can also hire a car on Södra vägen, close to Gothenburg University.
- East Gothenburg – There is a car rental office on Malmsjögatan close to the E20 motorway. Malmsjögatan is in the northeast part of Gothenburg. The proximity to the motorway makes it easy to get from Gamlestaden to several nice places outside the city.
- North Gothenburg– If you want to rent a car in northern Gothenburg, there are two car rental offices in the Hisingsbacka area. You can find the offices on Salsmästaregatan and Importgatan. Both of them are in close connection to the E6 motorway.
- South Gothenburg – In the southern parts of Gothenburg, car rental is possibel at an office on Grafiska vägen, which is close to the E6 motorway.
Where to go around Gothenburg
Gothenburg’s location on the beautiful west coast of Sweden opens up possibilities for trips to many cosy fishing villages. Getting out of the city by car is smooth and easy, and with a rental car you’ll be able to find hidden gems along the way! Below we’ll mention a few of our favourite spots in the area.
The fascinating Tjolöholm Castle is a 40 minute drive south of Gothenburg. The castle is built in a typical Tudor style and has an English feel to it. In the castle area, there is also a village with nice little cottages where the castle workers used to live. You can also visit a beautiful English style church.
The beautiful coastal town of Marstrand is definitely worth a visit. The city dates back to the Middle ages, and it’s perhaps best known for its large castle Carlsten that watches over the city. Marstrand is also a popular sailing resort, and there is plenty of good food and shopping. In short, the town is a real gem on the west coast of Sweden, and only three miles north of Gothenburg.
Tjörn is one of the most popular islands on Sweden’s west coast. The biggest city on the island is Skärhamn, and there you’ll find a very nice harbour. Tjörn also has amazing scenery, you can even swim among the many cliffs. The drive from Gothenburg takes about 50 minutes.